What does it mean to be a lady or to be ladylike? Some synonyms related to this word are: refined, gentle, well-mannered, respectable, classy, elegant, cultured, sophisticated, modest, feminine, and womanly. An old answer for the difference between being a woman and being a lady is: All ladies are women but not all women are ladies.
I believe being a lady vs. just being a woman has everything to do with what is appropriate for a lady to do, it’s a behavior and respect one has for herself. In this day and age, if we were to look at what we see in our society, it’s safe to say we have a lot of women but not a lot of women who exude characteristics of a lady. On almost every well-known TV show or reality show, it seems that what’s popular is a lot of loud, ignorant, and distasteful women who are fighting, arguing, and calling each other out of their name.
To bring it closer to home these shameful events occur even in our local neighborhoods; it seems as if it is better to become popular by being a “bad chick” than being a college educated, respected and well-mannered lady. We are now living in a generation where the role models for women are no longer the Oprah Winfrey’s, Coretta Scott Kings, Jackie O’s and the Michelle Obama’s of the world.
This generations role models are now half-naked video vixens and Instagram models. I believe that most of the younger generation of women are more attracted to the video vixen because it looks as if they have a more lavish lifestyle. So my objective today is to shine the light on the benefits and characteristics of being a lady.
Benefits Of Being A Lady
- Being a lady can get you places that being in the mentality of the “BAD chick” will never allow you to be.
- Being a lady enables you to obtain a career where you don’t have to exploit yourself for money and where you don’t have to pose for half-naked pictures.
- Being a lady takes you to places of high prestige that a woman with a smart and habitually foul mouth, bad, sassy, sister girl attitude could never go to.
- Being a lady attracts a different type of man, not thugs, hoodlums and men that just want to sleep with you and don’t desire marriage.
Being a lady in character demands a certain level of respect, it allows you to be taken more seriously. When I was growing up, it was frowned upon to be anything other than a lady. Women were groomed to be ladies from the start, they didn’t use profanity to express themselves.
Women weren’t taught to be hard and masculine to compete with men. They were actually taught to be ladies and to put on clothes that were modest and classy. I seriously believe that the decline of ladylike behavior has been one of the leading causes of the plunging rate of marriages in our culture. I have learned that the characteristics of a true lady have become rare.
Characteristics Of A Lady
- Ladies are able to express themselves with class.
- Ladies always show poise even in the hardest times.
- Ladies are leaders with grace.
- Ladies know the power of their silence, as well as the power of their voice in the right timing.
Understand that being ladylike comes with many different benefits. News Flash! Being a lady is still attractive! So get an education, start your own business, learn how to hold decent conversations, dress modestly, learn how to act in public and carry yourself in a respectable manner! Being a lady opens an unimaginable number of doors.
Be a class act. Be someone to be looked up to. Be a lady with grace and poise. You can be a woman by gender, however, being a lady is completely by choice.
Leave a Reply